Twins update: 18 weeks, 1 day. Twin A likes: Milk, sausage mcmuffins with egg, mornings. Twin B likes: being up until the wee hours, spicy szechuan food, mexican food. They both seem to like NCIS and Bones equally well. The BIG U/S (anatomy scan) is a week from Friday, so M. and I are looking forward to being able to move forward with the nursery and buying non-gender-neutral baby things.
So...onto the topic of today's post: People who seem to lose their inner filter when they're around pregnant woman. The person who did this to me is my BFF, T.
First, let me say that I've been pretty lucky. I haven't had too many people say stupid shit to me about being pregnant/having babies. But when one does happen, it's a doozy.
Take yesterday. T. and I are out and about running errands. We're out to lunch, talking about this and that and somehow, the filter in her brain falls out of her ear because she busts out with, "I don't think women like you and [mutual friend with a baby] are always good moms because they don't seem to like babies." I continued to eat the forkfull of taco salad that was in my mouth before responding. It was a pretty weak response, but I really couldn't figure out anything else to say, so I said, "Dude. I like babies. I just don't go bat-shit over the thought of them." I couldn't even respond to the not being a good mom part. That just blew me away. I don't think she realized exactly what she'd said. She's normally not that thoughtless with her comments, especially since she got a WHOLE lot of them when she was pregnant. Maybe she secretly asked the waiter to put tequila in her Mt. Dew.
So we continued with our shopping trip and I spent a good portion of that time trying to figure out what would make her say that I don't like babies. The only exposure I've had to babies as an adult is her son (now 18 months old) and my youngest nephew (now 9 years old), so I don't know what to do around them a lot of times. When T. first had her son, every time I went over there she was nursing him or soothing him or changing him or putting him down for a nap. She would do what most mom's do and say how smart her kid is and how he's doing this-and-that already and blah blah blah. (I fully realize that I will be doing this, but if someone doesn't respond with "OMG!!!! THAT'S SO GREAT! YOUR KIDS ARE SO CUTE! HOW DO YOU STAND IT?" I won't automatically think "They don't like kids.") He would mostly just lay there, sleeping. That isn't exactly the most exciting thing to see when you're someone who wasn't ready for kids yet. It was like watching a lump of blanket that would occasionaly move. I still don't quite know what would make her say that. Then again, this is the woman who bought a pack and play 7 years before she got pregnant so that her friends with babies (of which she had none at the time) could bring their kids over. She also started buying baby clothes off of the clearance racks almost 10 years before she got pregnant. "To put aside for later." she said.
I truly think I'm going to be one of those women who doesn't go absolutely crazy over babies unless they're her own. I never really feel the need to pick one up or pinch their cheeks or whatever. I also don't think that being this way is going to make me a bad mom.
Well, that's all I've got for today. I need to start housework and laundry and there's an NCIS marathon on USA that needs watching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment