Saturday, April 17, 2010

Randomness...

After a few weeks of bad times, the last week was good. I'm finally to the point where I've accepted that I'm having twins and am a wee bit excited about it. I still can't bring myself to buy anything for them, though. I just don't have the ability to coordinate things past solid colors that may or may not look good together. Plus, I feel like if I start to buy things, something will go wrong.

M. and I were in Portland last weekend and it was, by far, the best vacation we'd ever been on together. Normally we go somewhere that one of us really wants to go to but the other isn't so crazy about. (Me = Vegas; M. = Vancouver, BC) What usually happens is that the one who doesn't want to be there has a horrible time.

That didn't happen in Portland. We were only there for 36 hours or so, but it was incredibly relaxing. We had no set schedule and our entire plan consisted of "1. Go to Powells. 2. Find a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant for dinner. 3. Voodoo Doughnuts". We accomplished the first two, but the last one didn't happen because of my morning sickness. We spent the first day, Saturday, just walking around downtown Portland, took the MAX out to Beaverton and found this awesome, AWESOME taproom, Bailey's Taproom, and spent a good two hours in there. M. did all of the drinking since I can't right now, but I did have a really really good lemon-lime soda. I have no idea what the brand was because M. forgot to ask the bartender.

The next morning, on our way out of Portland, we drove through the Hawthorne District on our way to Mt. Tabor. M. and I decided if we ever move to Portland we'll buy in the Hawthorne District. We both LOVED it. It's exactly like our old neighborhood in Seattle, except without the sketchy individuals coming over from Aurora Ave.

The rest of the week I was off work, so I spent most of the time just hanging out at home watching TV and cuddling with the cats.

Except for Tuesday, which was my first NT Scan. It went well, insofar as I could see the babies. The scan itself had to be rescheduled for two weeks down the road because the babies were to small to get the proper information.

Most of my pregnancy symptoms have lessened quite a bit. My morning sickness only happens a couple of times a week, and can usually be cured by eating something with protein, like a Sausage McMuffin with egg. My boobs are only sore when I take off my bra or when I press on them. The only symptom that sticking around is the fatigue. M. and I went for a quick shopping trip yesterday and within 90 minutes I was exhausted to the point where I couldn't keep my eyes open on the drive home. Good times...good times...

One amusing thing that happened last week was I finally saw a group of women and children I didn't know in the same room together. This happened courtesey of the Story Time at our local library. I went with my BFF, T., and her son, who is around 18 months old. I sat away from the rest of the group so that the kids and moms could have a better view of the lady telling the stories. The first half of story time was great. The kids were having fun listening to stories and reciting various nursery rhymes and singing.

Then the toys came out and the entire dynamic changed. The women moved round the room, taking their children with them, until various groups started to emerge. The kids, for the most part, were playing well together, but there were quite a number of kids (at least 5 out of the 20 that were there) pushing other kids and taking their toys. I was a little weirded out by that, especially since the parents of the kids who did the pushing didn't do much about it, even though they were standing right there and saw the whole thing. Once in awhile one of the parents would say, "Give the toy back." in a quiet and bored voice. According to T. this happens a lot, which is why the groups were so segregated. The movement of the moms were to take their kids away from the kids who did the pushing.

It was really interesting to see this dynamic in play. It also made me not want to take my kids to story time at this library. If this kind of thing happens every time and the library people aren't doing anything, I'll take my kids elsewhere.

I appreciate that kids should learn to share their things, but when, during every week's story time, there are a group of parents letting their kids push other kids for toys and TPTB at the library seemingly won't do anything about it, then I won't be putting my kids into a situation where they'll be bullied for a toy and the parents of the bullies won't be spoken to about it. It's possible that they were spoke to about it, but the fact that it still goes on every week tells me that TPTB didn't tell them strongly enough or there needs to be additional action taken, like asking the parents not to bring the children there anymore.

Onto happier things.

The H Mart in Lynnwood has an entire store devoted to cream puffs. It.is.awesome. I highly recommend trying them out sometime.

1 comment:

  1. J- The fatigue will go away in a few weeks, 2nd Tri was great for me because I wasn't huge yet but all my energy back!

    There is something odd about parents that are passive to their kids behaviors especially out in public. I will not allow T to push other kids, if I see him do it, I make him stand there while I apologize for him since he can't talk that well yet. It's not always like that though!
    I am glad you and your hubs had a fantastic time in OR. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete